Cumberland Golf Club was founded in the summer of 1961. James Harrison designed the course which is located in the Cumberland Valley of south central Pennsylvania. The Golf Course is situated on 150 acres of rolling farmland that dates back to the late 1700’s.
The large brick home on the property was formerly a toll stop and tavern located on Route 11, a main route for travelers. The Black Horse Tavern, as it was known, offered room and board for settlers moving between Shippensburg and Carlisle. Its visitors included soldiers from both sides during the Civil War. Local legend has the house being haunted by a young boy that lives in one of its upstairs rooms.
Mr. Donn Mowery purchased Cumberland Golf Course in 1969. Joe, Jim, John and Jay, sons of Mr. Mowery, manage the club. The club offers four teeing areas from 5,800 to 6,900 yards. In 2001, a 4,000 square foot clubhouse and restaurant were added to the facility.